Pumpkin Kale Patties with Coconut Cilantro Rice
Charlottesville is particularly lovely right now.
We're located right at the edge of the Blue Ridge Parkway, one of the best places to take a long, sinuous drive and see the fireworks show of autumn leaves. It's 65 degrees all the time, perfect for drowning yourself in sweaters and fluffy hats.
We're encircled by breweries, craft distilleries and cideries. And the fine-dining scene is like hi hello yes everything on the menu is local and heirloom and lovingly caressed into submission.
So if you like getting cider-drunk, eating oysters harvested from the Rappahanock river and seeing deciduous trees light up in bonfire colors, you'll like Charlottesville.
That being said, people are friggin stoked about pumpkin everything here.
Is that everywhere? Please enlighten me. I spend a lot of time alone editing photos in dark rooms full of plants and la croix. Or surrounded by my hippy friends who are way too busy raising their own Thanksgiving turkeys to be bothered with pumpkin spice lattes.
Just kidding those are just my friends roommates. All my friends are like um why are you raising turkeys when there's perfectly good kale to munch on instead???
AND THEN I GO TO WHOLE FOODS AND PUMPKIN IS EVERYTHING LITERALLY EVERYTHING ITS A SEA OF PUMPKIN A TIDAL WAVE OF PUMPKIN DEAR GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
I take a deep breath. Fondle an ornamental arrangement of wine-dark peonies, averting my eyes from the pumpkin pancake mix display.
And yet... I can't help but be enlivened by that glow of pumpkin-y things. It's terrible... and fun! At the same time! I'm smiling and crying all at once! How did I get here?!
The point is, whether I like it or not, my whole life is pumpkin right now. October through November the whole damn internet froths at the mouth over that globular orange squash. How did we get here? How are we still here?
You know there was a time, long long ago when I was but a wee elfen child ... back then pumpkins were just this enormous unwieldy squash you carved smiles and eyes onto, trying your best not to get pumpkin seed goo all over your scooping-arm.
But those days are long gone.
Not that I'm, um, complaining or anything. I'll eat as many pumpkin things as I can get to come into my general orbit. Pumpkin is cool, nothing wrong with it. I definitely think there are better, sweeter, more delicious and generally better looking squashies out there. Kabocha, hubbard, delicata, acorn, butternut. To name a few.
But occasionally you just need that classic, relaxed sugar pumpkin flavor. Mild and starchy and plain. Plain in the way potatoes are plain. They harbor infinite potential. And I like that about pumpkin.
So today I have for you a really simple and positively delicious recipe for pumpkin patties with coconut cilantro rice. I like eating them as part of a big nourishing grain bowl with greens and a generous dollop of vegan chipotle mayo.
But they make for really great burgers as well! Layered with avocado and crispy mushrooms and crisp micro greens!
The pumpkin patties are really simple to make with pretty common ingredients. Smokey roasted pumpkin flesh + kale + ground tortilla chips + garbanzo beans + spices & things. That's the gist of it. You throw it all together in your blender, roll into balls, smooth into patties then bake and serve.
The coconut rice is super basic. I cooked my basmati rice with a knob of ghee, then stirred in unsweetened coconut flakes, fresh cilantro and salt. It's buttery, fluffy and aromatic.
I made my pumpkin seeds into a crunchy topping by tossing them with oil, salt and spices and tossing them in the oven with my pumpkin while it roasted. I gave them a stir then let them dehydrate in the oven as it cooled after roasting the pumpkin. It took about an hour for them to get crispy. That's just my set-it-and-forget-it method. There are probably better (faster) ways to make pumpkin seeds. Anyone have any killer pumpkin seed recipes?
Pumpkin Kale Patties
Created by Renee on October 23, 2016
- Prep Time: 5m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 5m
- 1 medium sugar pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Pumpkin Kale Patties
- 4 1/2 cups corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 cooked pumpkin, skin removed and discarded (~1.5 cups cooked pumpkin)
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medjool date, pitted
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonaise
- 2 cups loosely packed kale, stems removed
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut your pumpkin in half, scoop out the guts and remove the seeds (or reserve and roast the seeds with tamari and oil until crispy, as you like). Rub the cut side of the two pumpkin halves with olive oil. Sprinkle equally with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Set the halves cut side down on your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Set the pumpkin on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the pumpkin (a fork plunged into the pumpkin will reveal soft, tender squash when done). Let cool on the counter until easy to handle with your hands.
- Make the pumpkin kale patties: Set the oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the corn tortilla chips to the bowl of a food processor fitted with an S blade. Grind the chips until they’ve become a semi-fine flour. Add the pumpkin flesh and the chickpeas and blend again until well combined. Then add the garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, vinegar, olive oil, date and mayo. Blend again until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl to incorporate any bits gone astray. Then add the kale and combine until everything comes together. It will become pliable like a malleable dough, and will form a dough ball in the machine as it runs.
- Using your hands, form balls of dough (around 12) and set them on your parchment lined baking sheets. Flatten into 3/4” thick rounds. Rub the tops with just a little bit of olive oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flip the patties and bake 8-12 minutes more or until golden brown.
- Serve hot alongside cilantro coconut rice, slices of the rest of the roasted pumpkin, baby greens or arugula and some vegan mayo (I used an aquafaba-based chipotle mayo).
Cilantro Coconut Rice
Created by Renee on October 23, 2016
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 30m
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati white rice
- knob of ghee or tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or chips
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the rice, ghee/coconut oil and water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let steam for another 10-15 minutes with the top on. Remove the top, fluff with a fork and stir in the coconut flakes, cilantro and salt/pepper to taste.
Check out the rest of the Virtual Pumpkin Party recipes!
Cake Over Steak • Quick Pumpkin and Kale Risotto + Arancini
Twigg Studios • Sausage Stuffing Baked in a Pumpkin
Donuts, Dresses and Dirt • Pumpkin Spice Latte Popsicles
Cloudy Kitchen • Pumpkin Cake with Vanilla German Buttercream
Vegetarian Ventures • Smoky Pumpkin & Black Sesame Hummus
Eat Boutique • Pumpkin Scallion Dumplings
A Little Saffron • Pumpkin Stuffed Shells
Two Red Bowls • Pumpkin & Maple Caramel Baked French Toast
Wallflower Kitchen • Mini Pumpkin & Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
Wit & Vinegar • Pumpkin Butterscotch Banana Split
Style Sweet CA • Pumpkin Creme Brulee Cake
Nommable • Pumpkin Biscuits with Mushroom Thyme Gravy
With Food + Love • Cinnamon Raisin Pumpkin Seed Bread
Hortus • Creamy Roasted Squash Soup
Sevengrams • Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
Jojotastic • 1 Pumpkin, 2 Ways: Pumpkin Trail Mix & Dog Treats
Grain Changer • Pumpkin Spice Baked Oatmeal
Girl Versus Dough • Pumpkin Cranberry Flax Crisps
Earthy Feast • Pumpkin Grits + Pumpkin Home Fries + a Fried Egg
Harvest and Honey • Truffled Pumpkin Papardelle Alfredo with Frizzled Sage
Tasty Seasons • Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake
Broma Bakery • Pumpkin Butter Pop Tarts
Tending the Table • Roasted Pumpkin and Barley Salad
The Sugar Hit • Super Soft Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Delicious Not Gorgeous • Waffles with Spiced Pumpkin Butter and Brown Sugar Walnut Crumble
Taste Love and Nourish • Pumpkin Bread Pudding
The Green Life • Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chunk & Hazelnut Skillet Cookie (Vegan)
Foolproof Living • Pumpkin Creme Fraiche Pasta with Sage
The Monday Box • Pumpkin Butterscotch Cakes
Design Crush • Pumpkin Bourbon Hot Toddy
The Road to Honey • Pumpkin Pie & Chocolate Layer Cake
My Name is Yeh • Roasted Pumpkin with Yogurt and Hazelnut Dukkah
Give Recipe • Orange Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
Heartbeet Kitchen • Magic Vegan Pumpkin Pie Fudge
Beard and Bonnet • Marbled Pumpkin Muffins
Eat Within Your Means • Vegan Pumpkin Blender Muffins
Snixy Kitchen • Pumpkin Tapioca Pudding with Candied Pumpkin Seeds
Ruby Josephine • Moroccan Sweet Pumpkin + Beef Tagine
An Edible Mosaic • Pumpkin Spice Chia Seed Pudding
Hey Modest Marce • Mascarpone Pumpkin Pie
Inspired By the Seasons • Pumpkin Applesauce Smoothie
CaliGirl Cooking • Pumpkin Praline Cinnamon Rolls with Spiked Cream Cheese Glaze
Sally’s Baking Addiction • Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
Well and Full • Spicy Chipotle Pumpkin Hummus
Appeasing a Food Geek • Cheese Fondue Stuffed Roasted Pumpkin
SweetPhi • Pumpkin Chili Biscuit Bake
Warm Vanilla Sugar • Buttermilk Pumpkin Doughnuts
Mademoiselle Poirot • Cinnamon-Pumpkin Mousse on Honey Panna Cotta topped with Hazelnut Brittle
Heart of a Baker • Pumpkin Sticky Buns with Vanilla Bean Frosting
Flourishing Foodie • Massaman Curry with Pumpkin and Chickpeas
Ginger & Toasted Sesame • Pumpkin Jeon
Lindsay Jang • Best Ever DIY Pumpkin Spiced Latte
Fix Feast Flair • Hokkaido Pumpkin + Sage Mac and Gouda
Will Frolic for Food • Pumpkin Kale Patties with Coconut Cilantro Rice
A Couple Cooks • Pumpkin Pecan Baked Steel Cut Oats
Vermilion Red • Pumpkin Pie Souffle
B. Britnell • Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Displaced Housewife • Brown Butter Pumpkin Donuts
Sweet Gula • Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
La Pêche Fraîche • Pumpkin and Condensed Milk Cakes
Kitchen Konfidence • Pumpkin Ricotta Gnocchi with Rosemary Brown Butter Sauce
Loves Food, Loves to Eat • Savory Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Kale & Caramel • Goat Cheese & Sage-Stuffed Pumpkin Challah
Okie Dokie Artichokie • Pumpkin Chorizo Chili with Sweet Potatoes + Pinto Beans
Salted Plains • Easy Pumpkin Bread
Liliahna • Chicken Legs with Pumpkin and Tortellini
TermiNatetor Kitchen • Whole Wheat, Pumpkin & Brown Sugar Brioche
Vermilion Roots • Sweet Rice Dumplings with Pumpkin
Celebrate Creativity • Pumpkin Mini Cheesecake Tarts
Serendipity Bakes • Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake
So Much Yum • Vegan Maple-Glazed Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts
The Brick Kitchen • Pumpkin, Pecan & White Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
Lisli • Pumpkin Pie Cake
Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt • Pumpkin Pie Dip
Fig+Bleu • Pumpkin Granola
The Speckled Palate • Pumpkin Caramel Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies
Floating Kitchen • Chicken and Pumpkin Chili
The Wood and Spoon • Pumpkin Pecan Cake with Burnt Sugar Frosting
Fork Vs Spoon • Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
Lemon & Vanilla • Pumpkin and Coconut Caramel Flan
Dunk & Crumble • Pumpkin Chocolate Icebox Cake
Chicano Eats • Pumpkin Butter Pan de Muerto
On the Plate • Pumpkin Pancakes, Salted Caramel & Pecans
Rough Measures • Cosy Pumpkin Spice Latte (Caffeine and Dairy Free)
Brewing Happiness • Pumpkin Ginger Breakfast Cookies
A Butterful Mind • Pumpkin Cheesecake with Vanilla Whipped Cream
The Little Loaf • Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Fork to Belly • Pumpkin Gnocchi
The Little Epicurean • Chocolate Hazelnut Pumpkin Pie
Bourbon and Honey • Spicy Roasted Pumpkin with Honey and Feta
What to Cook Today • Spicy Pumpkin Noodle Soup
Food by Mars • Pumpkin Pie (Grain-Free, Diary-Free)
The Bojon Gourmet • Pumpkin Butterscotch Pudding
Oh Honey Bakes • Pumpkin Cake with Gingersnap Toffee
Long Distance Baking • Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake
The Jam Lab • Pumpkin Madeleines Dipped in White Chocolate
The Lemon Apron • Pumpkin Gingerbread Loaf with an Olive Oil Glaze
Sun Diego Eats • Thai Pumpkin & Sticky Rice Cakes
A Cozy Kitchen • Pumpkin Chai Scones with Black Tea Glaze
A Cookie Named Desire • Pumpkin Shrubs
Eating Clean Recipes • Vegan Pumpkin Chia Pudding
Kingfield Kitchen • Vegan Fresh Pumpkin Soup
Drink and Cocktail Recipes • Pumpkin Dirty Chai
The Pig & Quill • Pumpkin Sage Cannelloni (Dairy-Free)
My Lavender Blues • Pumpkin, Banana & Olive Oil Bundt Cake
Betty Liu • Pumpkin + Pear Butter Baked Melty Cheese
Happy Hearted Kitchen • Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin with Tahini Yogurt + Hazelnut Dukkah
InHappenstance • Pumpkin Scones with Maple Butter
Live Eat Learn • Pumpkin Gingerbread Hot Cocoa
Jewhungry • Mini Pumpkin + Kale Mac n' Cheese Pot Pies