Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches (Gluten Free)
Highlights of this past weekend:
I played a show with Larkspur at Earth Folk Collective. The sunset was pink. Heat lightning made fireworks above us. There was blackberry jam cooking over a fire. And a field full of heart-people in swoon-mode. Hella reverb on our vox (vocals). All the feels.
And then the next day I played a show with Larkspur at our Midsummer Masquerade. 200 people showed up! We made flower crowns with foliage from my garden. Kiwi vines, pomegranate blossoms, marigolds, green zinnias. We played on a big outdoor stage with bright, blinding lights. People showed up wearing wings and horns and crowns made from grasses, daisies, dahlias. The sky was a swirl of cotton candy blue and pink. I danced like a luna-tic. I drank love potions (read: iced tea) made from damiana, rose, holy basil and honey.
I went skinny dipping in the river at midnight.
I spent Sunday curled up in my bed with my friend Anna B, watching Brother Sun Sister Moon in my jammies. (If you like excessive frolicking through flowers, this movie is your jam.)
That same day we (Anna B & I) wandered around UVA and found a little garden enclave to eat our dinner. Brick-walls, old crab-apple trees, friendly squirrels. We noshed on giant bowls of kale and rice and BBQ tofu and tamari-roasted broccoli.
And I ate so many chocolate-chip cookie dough ice cream sandwiches! All to myself :)
(look it's my band!)
Despite all the mayhem, violence and insanity in our current world I'm somehow finding a way to sink into joy. To express myself through music. To laugh. To eat crackers with pepper jelly on a blue-dark dock alongside Virginia rivers at 1am. To look at the stars. To wear glittering frocks and swing my body through the hot evenings. To listen to the sound of crickets in the early morning. To breath sweet air.
I hope you find this space to be a respite from the grief, the pain, the hate.
A moment of stillness, a calm sinking into your bones and organs.
(With a quick reminder that this chaos is waking us all up to the insanity of our age. That there is hope where there are humans to enlighten; to break the darkness; to lift off the oppression; to hold each other up. Be the change and the light and the warrior for peace. One day we'll all remember that our experience of consciousness and joy on this green Earth is the point.)
And with that, an ice cream sandwich recipe!
Designed to make you immensely blissful.
These cookies taste exactly like traditional cookie dough. Nay... better! With quick vegan vanilla ice cream sandwiched in between... it's Summertime heaven.
I made the cookies with dates, oats, almond meal, coconut oil, chocolate chips and cashew butter.
I made the ice cream with banana, coconut cream, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract. The coconut oil is the secret to a smooth, fluffy ice cream! And it's heavier on the vanilla flavor whereas the banana flavor is more of an after taste.
Then you out it all together: soft chocolate chip cookie + creamy, light vegan vanilla ice cream. Smoosh. Bite!
Logan swears it's the best thing I've ever made.
It's so good I did a whole Nom Cast about it! You can watch the recording of the live stream here.
Enjoy! And if you make these vegan chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream sandwiches leave a comment or tag me @willfrolicforfood and #willfrolicforfood
Vegan No-Bake Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches (Gluten Free)
Created by Renee on July 15, 2016
Note: I’d say this is one of the fastest homemade ice cream treats out there. Prep time is about 30 minutes, including blending the ice cream base, mixing the ice cream and making the cookies. The rest is hands-off freezing time.
- Prep Time: 30m
- Total Time: 2h 30m
- Serves: 8
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup coconut cream (cream from a can of chilled full fat coconut milk)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon liquid coconut oil
Cookie Dough Cookies
- 12 -13 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup oats milled into oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Report this ad
- Add all of the nice cream ingredients to the bowl of a high powered blender. Blend on high until the mix becomes smooth and creamy. Add to ice cream maker and make according to ice cream maker directions. Spoon the nice cream into a chilled pan and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours before scooping. If hard frozen thaw for 5 minutes before scooping.
Cookies + Sandwiches
- Add the rolled outs to the bowl of a food processor fitted with an S blade. Blend until you have a rough, sandy flour. Pour the oat flour into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the pitted dates and coconut oil to your food processor. Blend until the dates break down into a smooth paste. Add the oat flour, almond meal, cashew butter, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Blend everything together until a smooth dough ball forms in the food processor. Add the chocolate chips and pulse 10-12 times to incorporate the chips and break them down slightly.
- To make the cookies, spoon out tablespoon sized amounts and roll them between your hands. They’ll be the size of golf balls approximately. Flatten with a glass, your hand or a fork. Freeze for an hour at minimum before making your ice cream sandwiches.
- For the sandwiches, plop a generous scoop of ice cream onto one cookie and top with a second cookie. Press down firmly. Roll your ice cream sandwiches in more chocolate chips or vegan sprinkles. Freeze again if your planning on serving these later, or scoop scoop sandwich CHOMP immediately. Enjoy!