10 Minute Cashew Maca Hot Chocolate (Vegan)
This 10 minute cashew maca hot chocolate is my absolute ideal. It's deeply chocolatey, lightly sweet and rich but not overly so. And it's quick! Not to mention nourishing. After a big mugful I feel energized and inspired.
It hasn’t snowed in Virginia yet. In fact it’s been rainy and grey for the last week. It’s been getting dark at 2:30pm. All of the streets are lined with mottled silver puddles. Even the trees seem to sink into a lull of depression. So I needed a little lift. Cacao and maca are a magical combo for emotional and energetic support. I’ve been sipping this over conversations with friends. We dream together about projects to whip up come the new year. Nothing like high vibey hot chocolate to simultaneously fight off the dementors and grease the creative wheels.
Maca has a subtle sweetness too it. I think it tastes like a cross between caramel and maple syrup. So ultimately it gives this hot cocoa a bit of a caramel-like twist. I didn't happen to have vegan marshmallows on hand, but a couple of toasted ones on top would be so decadent and fun!
In other news: we're decorating Logan's standup bass like a Christmas tree this year! Our tiny house can't hold a big xmas tree. So pine cuttings, foraged berries and holly wreaths will have to do for holiday cheer. I might just wrap that whole bass in silver tinsel and twinkle lights and call it a day!
Much love -- Renee
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw cashew pieces
- 2 1/2 cups filtered water
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup (plus more to your liking)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (70% or higher), chopped
- Combine the cashew pieces and the filtered water in the bowl of a high powered blender. Blend until frothy and smooth, 1-2 minutes. The cashews will completely emulsify in the blender.
- Pour the cashew milk into a sauce pot. Add the maple syrup, vanilla and maca. Whisk everything together. Place the sauce pot over low heat, heating until just before the milk simmers. Add the chopped chocolate and remove from heat. Set aside for 2 minutes so that the chocolate melts. Whisk everything together vigorously until even and smooth, scraping the chocolate from the bottom of the pan as you go. (Tip: For the most even and perfect looking hot chocolate I blend everything once more with an immersion blender. This step is totally optional!)
- Serve hot!