TOASTED COCONUT PECAN AMARANTH CEREAL (GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN)
Scenes from this past week:
Crushing garlic and salt together in a marble mortar. Bluish evening light spreads itself into a dark kitchen. Stamping miso, vinegar, and sesame oil into the pounded mixture, and splashing it into a hot pot of noodles and kale.
A dull greyhound ride in the rain. Soft thud of the wheels over water-filled potholes.
Swiping my new Forest Things almond oil chapstick over my lips. Squinting up at bright sunlight as I walk home from the market. Smells of fresh turned earth, kombucha vinegar, fried dough and sugar.
Cutting off twigs of hot pink azalea blooms with a dull knife. Wrapping the ends with a sopping wet cheesecloth and sticking them in a mason jar -- ready for a long journey, eventually to be set beside my grandmothers hospital bed.
A haphazard yard sale -- dusty jewel toned books, antique bottles with yellowed commemorative scrolls rolled up inside, lonely plastic visors detached from their welding helmets, a pair of wingtip leather boots, a collection of three mateless brass candlesticks, a half broken picnic basket -- and on and on and on.
Toppled boxes of costumes at the flea market. A copper Moscow mule mug glinting on a grey plastic table.
Onlooking as our friends at Lobo Marino write the names for their just-planted seeds on broken slivers of wood they've stuck into rich, dark soil: "Tropaelum Magus," "Nasturtium," "NAS."
A long lazy worm pulling itself out of the grass and on to the side walk, slinking pink and lavender under our feet. I swerve the bike I'm walking home away just in time to look back and exclaim "WOAH, WORM!"
- 1 cup whole amaranth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk + 1/2 cup coconut milk, to serve
- 3 tbsp honey + 1 tsp, to serve
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Combine amaranth with 1 cup water and 1 cup coconut milk. Allow to soak overnight, or for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Place in a medium pot with pinch salt. Cook 15 minutes, or until amaranth seeds are tender. Stir in honey to sweeten.
- For topping, place a pan on medium high heat. Toast pecans 5 minutes, or until slightly browned and toasty. Remove from pan.
- Add coconut flakes and toast until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from pan.
- To serve, spoon amaranth into a bowl, top with a dollop of reserved coconut milk, a drizzle of honey, and plenty of toasted pecans and coconut flakes.